Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Monday, September 29, 2008
Hundreds of people dressed as gorillas went ape during a charity race to raise money for endangered animals today.
The sixth annual 7km Great Gorilla Run started and finished at the London Underwriting Centre, off Mincing Lane, this morning.
Rest of story with more photos.
Sunday, September 28, 2008
National Guardsmen help guide a rancher as he loads bundles of hay aboard a CH-47 Chinook helicopter to deliver to stranded livestock who have been trapped by the flooded salt-waters without food or fresh water since Hurricane Ike struck the Southwest coast of Louisiana.
Saturday, September 27, 2008
Public commission, city of Montreal, Parc Maisonneuve-Cartier, Montréal, 2003
This work is inspired by the curved staircases which are so much a part of Montreal's identity. Here, the staircase twists into a knot, deconstructing the vertical symbolism normally attributed to stairs, and takes us through an infinite cycle of revolutions, where, from one transformation to the next, all that rises comes down again.
Cybertecture office building, this futuristic design is from James Law Cybertecture International, commissioned by Vijay Associate (Wadhwa Developers) for Mumbai, India. The 32,000 sq m eggshaped building will accommodate 13 floors of offices and will combine "iconic architecture, environmental design, intelligent systems, and new engineering to create an awe-inspiring landmark in the city."
Friday, September 26, 2008
When you go to bed at night and 'forget to shut down your computer,
' I think you ought to know what actually goes on.
It's 2 a.m. and do you know where your icons are and what they are doing?
Click on this the Link below and you will see what happens when you leave the computer on during the night!
Be sure your sound is on!
Here we have Earth House Estate Lättenstrasse located in Dietikon, Switzerland designed by Swiss architect Vetsch Architektur. The main intention of building an earth house is not as a comparison to traditional residential houses built on the ground but: 'Not to live under or in the ground, but with it.'
Thursday, September 25, 2008
I’m not going to poo-poo my apartment because I actually have a nice bathroom but am no where near sporting a bath, spa, and jacuzzi all in one unit. Have you seen the size of those tubs? They’re HUGE. Designer Dominik Chojnacki must understand my pain because his SPAcer is a movable Spa bath that can fold up against the wall to save floor space. Nevermind that it looks like an Orca turned upside down, Dominik claims the shape was inspired by two rain drops.
Designer: Dominik Chojnacki
With Halloween creeping closer, an average haunted house may not give you the jitters like had before. This year, you want to observe the wicked holiday to its fullest. Bring the essential flashlight, Ouija board, a car low on gas and a cellphone with very poor reception to maximize the terror of being in the middle of nowhere. Following are seven places to spend if you want a truly freaky experience...
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Monday, September 22, 2008
Celebrating 60 years of existence this year, North Korea holds out as the last Stalinist state in the world. In such a restrictive society, it is difficult - if not impossible - for residents to get news of the outside world, and for the outside world to see in. What photography comes out of North Korea is either state-produced, state-approved, or at the very least state-managed (visitors are restricted in their movement). Still, if you look over the following images with those restrictions in mind, one can still get some idea of life in North Korea in 2008. These photos were all taken within the past six months - some taken from the borders, peering in, others provided by North Korea itself, and several generously shared by freelance photographer Eric Lafforgue, who recently spent some time inside the country.
Caption: "Jesus. I can’t bare it. Why do I have to poop in public? Why can’t I have the same privacy my owner takes for granted? Man’s best friend my ass. Every day I’m forced to defecate in front of complete strangers. How’d my owner like that? I bet you he’d get stage fright for sure. He’s got no backbone. I mean, he’s the one picking up after me. I wouldn’t go near his crap with a ten-foot pole. I have to get over this. I just need time. Today’s not the day to deal with this. Tomorrow. What if Muffin’s there today? Sweet, sweet muffin. Will she still be interested after she sees me in the act? I mean, she’ll be there for the same reason, but we hardly know each other. It’ll be awkward for sure. I’ll just pretend I don’t see her.Maybe I’ll just hold it. It’s so cold out there. Doesn’t he care? I’m the one on all fours. I’m the one putting my reputation on the line, three times a day, every day. I’ll just have to face it. My life will always include public defecation. Why can’t I have a little tray like a cat? I could learn to use one.Why can’t I be one of those dogs that seem to love the spotlight? Is there such thing as a dog voyeur? Do they derive pleasure from pooping for an audience? Well, at least I’m not alone. But I won’t lie. Sometimes I feel like I am. Who am I?"
Sunday, September 21, 2008
One of America’s favorite pastimes is regaining popularity and coming back with an exciting new twist.
Trendy bowling alleys have been popping up around the country in recent that are more upscale and swankier than ever.
Everyone is familiar with the term “tramp stamp” here in the U.S. but apparently that isn’t the chosen term for a lower back tattoo all around the world. In fact the German’s have a slang term for it that pretty much kicks “tramp stamp’s” ass.
The German’s call lower back tattoos Arschgeweih. Oh wait, you don’t speak German? Translated Arschgeweih means “ass antlers”. I’ve got to hand it to them that is fucking briliant and I am going to adopt it. I’m going to make it my goal to bring “ass antlers” stateside.
Apparently these are actual quotes taken from Federal Government (US) employee performance evaluations.
1. “Since my last report, this employee has reached rock-bottom and has started to dig.”
2. “I would not allow this employee to breed.”
3. “This employee is really not so much of a has-been, but more of a definite won’t be.”
4. “Works well when under constant supervision and cornered like a rat in a trap.”
5. “When she opens her mouth, it seems that it is only to change feet.”
6. “This young lady has delusions of adequacy.”
7. “He sets low personal standards and then consistently fails to achieve them.”
8. “This employee is depriving a village somewhere of an idiot.”
9. “This employee should go far, and the sooner he starts, the better.”
10. “Got a full 6-pack, but lacks the plastic thingy to hold it all together..”
11. “A gross ignoramus — 144 times worse than an ordinary ignoramus.”
12. “He doesn’t have ulcers, but he’s a carrier.”
14. “I would like to go hunting with him sometime.”
15. “He’s been working with glue too much.”
16. “He would argue with a signpost.”
17. “He brings a lot of joy whenever he leaves the room.”
18. “When his IQ reaches 50, he should sell.”
19. “If you see two people talking and one looks bored, he’s the other one.”
20. “A photographic memory but with the lens cover glued on.”
21. “A prime candidate for natural de-selection.”
22. “Donated his brain to science before he was done using it.”
23. “Gates are down, the lights are flashing, but the train isn’t coming.”
24. “He’s got two brains cells, one is lost and the other is out looking for it.”
25. “If he were any more stupid, he’d have to be watered twice a week.”
26. “If you give him a penny for his thoughts, you’d get change.”
27. “If you stand close enough to him, you can hear the ocean.”
28. “It’s hard to believe he beat out 1,000,000 other sperm.”
29. “One neuron short of a synapse.”
30. “Some drink from the fountain of knowledge; he only gargled.”
31. “Takes him 1.5 hours to watch ‘60-minutes’.”
32. “The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead”
33. “Got into the gene pool when the Lifeguard wasn’t looking